Michigan Medicare News

If are turning 65 in the next year, you may be wondering What do I need to do about Medicare? If you are 65 or eligible for Medicare through social security disability, you must have Medicare Parts A and B to enroll or continue to participate in our retiree healthcare and prescription drug plans. This is true for a spouse or any eligible dependents that you wish to enroll or are already enrolled. For most people, Medicare enrollment is automatic. Medicare enrollment is automatic for you if: you have paid into Medicare for 10 years, and are turning 65, and are receiving social security income.

In which case, you do not need to do anything to enroll. Your healthcare coverage through us will be transitioned to a Medicare Advantage plan. If you don't meet the criteria for automatic enrollment, you'll need to take action in order to enroll in Medicare parts A and B. To allow enough time for processing, we recommend you enroll in Medicare three months before you turn 65 or otherwise become eligible.

For most people, Medicare begins at age 65 or after 24 months of Social Security disability.

You can enroll in Medicare online by visiting www.medicare.gov and filling out an application. After you enroll, be sure to pay attention to any mail coming from Medicare or your health insurance carrier. There are often important requests for information that shouldn't be missed.

If you are currently enrolled in the retirement system's prescription drug plan, we will enroll you in a Medicare part D prescription drug plan.

Click Here